听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 少儿·初·高中·大学 » 每天在幽默中学英语(大本营)
返回列表 发帖
oh yes

2008-4-1

The District Attorney stared at the jury, unable to believe its verdict.
Bitterly he asked, "What possible excuse could you have for acquitting this man?"
The foreman answered, "Insanity."
The D.A. said, "All twelve of you???"

District Attorney: 公诉人,检查官 缩写 D.A.,DA,Dist. Atty.
jury: [律] 陪审团
verdict: [律](陪审团的)裁决, 判决
acquit: [律] 宣告无罪,无罪释放
foreman: 首席陪审员:陪审团主席和发言人
insanity: 精神失常(在大部分刑事审判中,可以解除被告所犯罪行的法律责任)

Do you remember there was a war criminal of Nanking Massacre escaping from the death warrant by pretending insanity?

very good !

2008-3-31

While waiting for my first appointment in the reception room of a new dentist, I noticed his certificate, which bore his full name.
Suddenly, I remembered that a tall, handsome boy with the same name had been in my high school class almost 50 years ago.
Upon seeing him, however, I quickly discarded any such thought. This balding, gray-haired man with the deeply lined face was too old to have been my classmate. After he had examined my teeth, I asked him if he had attended the local high school.
"Yes," he replied.
"When did you graduate?" I asked.
He answered, "In 1953."
"Why, you were in my class!" I exclaimed.
He looked at me closely and then asked, "What did you teach?"

discard: 放弃, 丢弃, 抛弃
discard one's wife 遗弃妻子
discard old beliefs 抛弃旧信念
discard prejudices 放弃偏见
discard the dross and select the essential 去粗取精

attend school: 上学

Who do you think was aging more rapidly?

评分人数

• DZ

2008-03-30

After a recent move, I made up a list of companies, agencies, and services that needed to know my new address and phoned each one to ask for the change to be made.
  Everything went smoothly until I called one of my frequent flyer accounts. After I explained to the representative what I wanted to do, the woman told me, "I'm sorry; we can't do that over the phone. You will have to fill out our change-of-address form."
  "How do I get one of those?" I asked.
  "We'd be happy to provide you with one," she said pleasantly. "May I have your new address so that I can mail it to you?"

frequent flyer account: 飞行常客的帐户,可以累积飞行里程折换免费机票和礼物。

I think it will be more convenient for the narrator to change his/her frequent flyer account.

评分人数

• DZ

是的呀。大家一起来哦。

wow,scj 下定决心要拿很多个"持之以恒奖"喽

返回列表