One day, Ping Gong, the King of the State of Jin, said to his minister Shi Kuang: "I am over 70years old.
有一天,晋国君主晋平公对他的臣子师旷说:“我已经七十多岁了。
Though I "am eager to read some books, I feel it is too late."
虽然很想读些书,但是,总觉得时间太晚了!”
Shi Kuang said: "Too late? Why don't you light the candle?"
师旷说: “时间太晚吗?为卜么不把蜡烛点起来呢?”
Ping Gong said: "I am serious. But you go so far as to make fun of me!"
平公说: “我和你说正经话,怎么,你竟和我开起玩笑来了!”
Shi Kuang said: "How dare I, a blind minister, make fun of Your Majesty?
师旷说: “我这个双目失明的臣子,哪里敢和大王开玩笑!
I heard that when a man in his youth is fond of studying, he is like the rising sun, brilliant andmagnificent;
我听说,一个人在少年的时候好学,就像初升的太阳那样,辉煌而灿烂;
when a man in the prime of life is fond of studying, he is like the sun at noon, with still half aday's good time ahead;
壮年的时候好学,犹如正午的太阳,还有半天的好时光呢;
when a man in his old age is fond of studying, he is like the flame of a candle.
老年的时候好学,就像蜡烛的火焰一样。
Though the light is failing, it is better than groping in the dark."
蜡烛的光亮虽然是有限的,但是有了它,总比在黑暗中摸索着前进要好些吧!”
Hearing Shi Kuang's words, Ping Gong of Jin said with pleasure:
听了师旷的话,晋平公高兴地说:
"How well you have put it!"
“你说得多好啊!”
|